Thursday, March 18, 2010

Taking the plunge

White Water Rafting at KiwiWise
After the events of the last few weeks, I think it's time to bring out some cliches and metaphors. I know how much everyone loves them! Anyone who knows me well, will know that the mere thought of jumping into water fills me with a little fear. Which I think makes the title of this post an apt metaphor for my story today.

After being made redundant a few weeks ago, I have kept thinking how this could be the perfect opportunity to work for myself. I often think how if I had more time, I can do more of the things I've been wanting to do for my craft business. However it seemed that the sensible thing to do was apply for a new job, so I did that a couple of times, but my heart wasn't really in it. So I began to think of ways to make self employment work. I could do freelance graphic design work as well as the crafts, and maybe take on temp work while I built something up.

I'd been given the opportunity to meet with a lifecoach, which I took, because I needed someone to give me that final push. You could sum up the whole entire session with two words – 'do it!' She said the best thing to do was to focus all my energy towards it, as that was the best way to get the momentum going, and not worry about applying for jobs or doing temp work. So this week I have begun thinking of myself as self-employed, and looking for opportunities to make it happen. It's a bit scary to not have the security of a salary – though that had already gone, so probably not something to worry about too much. It's also really exciting, as this could go in any direction. As the cliche goes, when one door closes, another opens. I have been busy looking for new ones to open, and have found a few already.

As a footnote, here is another story. When I was a teenager, I went on a rafting trip on the Buller river. After we'd been paddling down the river a while, and negotiated Ariki falls, we stopped next to a small cliff face (2-3 metres above the water). Everyone except for me scrambled up the side of the bank, and jumped into the water. I was encouraged to give it a try, but I was rather scared, as I couldn't swim. It was pointed out to me that I was wearing a wetsuit and lifejacket, so that wasn't a problem. I finally plucked up the courage to climb up the bank and jump off the cliff, and it was awesome, I loved it. I went to go back for another try, but it was time to move on, I'd sat there worrying about it too long.

The moral of the story? You dont know if you don't try. I hope you're feeling inspired, because I most certainly am. I will keep you updated on my progress.

7 comments:

  1. Yay, exciting!
    I'm proud of you Rose!!! You've got guts and I'm sure it will pay off because you're a talented, wonderful person, with a good head full of ideas and knowledge. I'm looking forward to hearing how it all works out for you.
    Em, Freedom Creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma!
    Having support from friends will definitely make it easier. It's great how the crafty community is so lovely, kind and supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it Rose! Would love to see your candles on the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!
    With your positive atttitude your business is certain to be a success :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good on you! sometimes all it takes is a small push :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so inspirational - I feel like going out and doing something fantastic too! I really look forward to reading more about your journey - deep breath, JUMP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rose,
    I just popped in to visit! Working for yourself sounds like a great option for you, good luck!

    deb xx

    ReplyDelete